Just Another Right-Wing Rant

Thursday, June 08, 2006

Music

For me, music is an intensely personal thing. The sort of music I listen to is tightly connected to my character and personality, and when I go to put music on my choice will nearly always reflect my mood and what I'm thinking in some way.

My theory is that this is generally true, and you can see it all around, especially in musicians. Classical musicians are generally orderly people with firm ideas about things. Jazz musicians are generally vivacious, exciting people. Choirs that sing African music tend to attract people who dislike structure and rules, because the music itself is spontaneous and free. And of course our bland, nothing culture has produced the bland nothingness of what is "dance" music today.

Am I on to something here, or do I stereotype people badly? Are my sweeping generalizations generally true, or do I impose my preconception of how music works on people who are connected with it?

I was discussing this with my wife a few days ago and discovered that she does not work like this at all. She has music that she likes and dislikes, both performing and listening, without there being any particular connection with who she is and what she feels.

What about other people? Do you live your music?

1 Comments:

  • Pretty similar to me, actually, Em, but then I think we already knew that - Llama!!!!

    I listen to whatever suits my mood, and very aware when the song (the tempo, lyrics, etc) jarrs with it. Sometimes I can deliberately change my mood by listening to certain music.

    By Blogger Ang, at 00:28  

Post a Comment

<< Home